- ✶ BODY SENSE WORKSHOP IN THE ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE – SAT 11 MAY ✶
A practical and experiential workshop in basic moveability patterning which, by Nature’s design, brings us to Poise, Balance, Centredness, Groundedness and Effortlessness in all activities in daily life, Nia and other movement practices. Learn how to move with more Ease and Skill than you could ever imagine!
Current lifestyles and societal conditioning affects us all in body, mind and spirit – it’s speed, technology, consumerism, city-ness, stress and life demands (work, home, children, relationships). Learn and experience how the Alexander Technique work offers fundamental balance and grounded-ness, restoration of equanimity, poise, relaxation and less effort in your daily life.
As one of the 9 movement forms that Nia as a fitness fusion workout and lifestyle practice is based on, AT offers huge benefits to all forms of movement practices – from dance to meditation to walking the Camino to Tai Chi and so much more.
Date: Saturday, May 11
Time: 2 – 5pm
Venue: OurNiaSpace Studio
Sign up: call or sms 082 462 4844 or sign up now!
This workshop is open to everybody!
What will this workshop on Body Sense Alexander Technique, to offer you?
Gain an understanding of the value of Alexander’s way in dealing with re-activeness, habit, unconsciousness, lack of awareness/sensitivity, and how it can guide towards achieving conscious, constructive choices and “relaxedness/effortlessness” – the dynamic ease that is at the core of Nia. You will get a good basic understanding of the Alexander Technique through explanation and demonstration of the work, including experiential practice, of the:
- Importance of GOOD and EFFECTIVE USE OF THE BODY in basic move-ability patterning (the way we sit, stand, bend, walk, lie), principles and practical applications to everyone – regardless of the kind of activity. (This is the core of Alexander’s method).
- How we move, bend, stand, sit, lie, walk – and how we can release tension (the prime culprit in all problems, limitations, diminishments);
- The ‘restful state” in activity or stillness … conscious directing of body andThe ‘restful state” in activity or stillness … conscious directing of body and mind mind
- The workshop will also address specifically how to apply this technique in movement activities – such as in Nia class.
Marguerite van der Merwe is a teacher of Body Sense Alexander Technique and Tai Chi, with more than 25 years’ professional experience in the mind-body-spirit domain. Her experience in many varied physical activities & skills is valuable as a fundamental, necessary aspect of integrating Body Sense into both Nia practice, and everyday life.
She presents Workshops & Retreats throughout the country and is the author of ‘The Art of Walking – a Path to Health and the Richness of Well-Being’ (published under her birth name, Marguerite Osler).
- ✶ FREEDANCE PLAYSHOP - SAT 25 MAY ✶
Explore your many sides of movement creativity with a Freedance experience to move your body beyond muscle with music, sound and free movement expression.
A fun and inspirational way to awaken your unique potential of moving and being in your body and mind, where movement and creativity embrace the freedom of “anything goes, movement wise!”
Join Nicci (Black Belt Nia teacher) for a truly moving experience. Play, fun, realness and letting go are key elements she brings to her Freedance experiences.
Date: Saturday, 25 May
Time: 2 – 4pm
Sign up: ✆ 082 462 4844 or sign up now!