LAUGHTER YOGA LEADER CERTIFICATION COURSE
19 and 20 September 2015 at OurNiaSpace Studio with Hendrik Visser
We as humans are designed to laugh. We need laughter to maintain our physical, mental and emotional health Its a vital tool for living in this challenging world we find ourselves in. And good laugh can also leave you feeling like you’ve had a good workout!
This two-day (12-hour) certification training qualifies you as a Certified Laughter Leader (includes accreditation and on-going post training support). You will acquire the facilitation skills of how to lead groups through laughter sessions and meditation.
WHAT IS LAUGHTER YOGA?
It is a fun and unique experience on how to achieve more happiness in everything you do. The concept of Laughter Yoga is based on a scientific fact that the body cannot differentiate between fake and real laughter. One gets the same physiological and psychological benefits.
Developed by a medical doctor from India, Dr. Madan Kataria, and now spread across 100 countries, a laughter yoga session is an easy and playful experience that uses fun movement exercises. It is a skill-fulll blend of mindfulness, movement, and awareness with laughter exercises, breathing practices (from yoga) and happiness techniques. It initiates laughter as a body exercise in a group with eye contact and childlike playfulness, and soon turns into real and contagious laughter. These play, role-play and “improv-type” guided movements allow participants to experience “unconditional laughter” – the same laughter that young children experience 300-400 times a day. Adults usually experience “conditional laughter” that is linked to questioning of whether its’s funny, or appropriate etc.
(*Laughter yoga is not a traditional yoga style practice at all – but uses the yogic breathing science” behind all the laughter exercises to provide powerful body work).
BENEFITS OF LAUGHTER YOGA
- Reduces stress instantly and provides the tools for on-going stress release (the act of laughing decreases the level of stress hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline while simultaneously increasing levels of endorphins and neurotransmitters)
- Strengthens the immune system
- Keeps you in good mood and cheerful throughout the day
- Oxygenates your brain and makes you feel more energetic
- Keeps positive mental attitude in difficult times
- Laughter works all of your muscles: respiratory, facial, legs, abdomen and back, while increasing blood oxygenation and flow.
Anyone can laugh for no reason without relying on humor, jokes or comedy and one can feel the benefits on the very first session!
Laughter Yoga is practiced by individuals in group sessions, companies and corporations, fitness centers, yoga studios, centers for seniors, schools, colleges, universities, physically and mentally challenged and self-help cancer groups – bringing happiness to all these places.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
The training is very experiential-based with supporting theory that covers:
- History, concept and philosophy of Laughter Yoga
- Steps of Laughter Yoga and the 40 Laughter Yoga Foundation Exercises
- What Laughter Yoga is and it’s benefits, scientific research and contra-indications
- How to take Laughter Yoga into corporate and organisations
- How to laugh alone
- Laughter Yoga with seniors, school children, special groups (cancer, hospice, support groups)
- How to start a Laughter Club
WHO CAN DO IT?
It is suited for both professionals( as a complementary skill), volunteer-based workers, as well as for personal use and knowledge. The scope for its use is vast – health and human services, educators, movement teachers, counselors, nursing home staff, nurses, social workers, human resource specialists – anyone who loves laughter!
* No yoga or movement experience is required. Everybody is welcome and able to do this training course, even if you have never experienced a Laughter Yoga session. (see below for free intro session on Saturday 5th September)
DATES, COSTS AND LOGISTICS
Date: Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th September
Times: 11am – 5.30pm (includes 2 break sessions)
Venue: OurNiaSpace Studio, 10 Anson Street, Observatory
Cost: R 1 800 *special rate just for this training at the studio
(includes 12-hours of training, training manual, certification and registration with the Dr. Kataria School of Laughter Yoga in India)
Hendrik Visser is a Certified Laughter Yoga teacher and coach working with Corporates, NGOs and private clients. He studied with the Founder of the Laughter Yoga movement, Dr. Madan Kataria (in Bangalore, India) and is one of 20 teaching members of the Dr. Kataria School of Laughter Yoga and Laughter Yoga International in South Africa.
Since 2008, he has pioneered the work all over South Africa with his passion to bring Laughter Coaching to everybody wanting to learn how to laugh without reason, and to train people to change their lifestyles regarding stress-management and relationship building. He has led and trained over 250 people across South Africa to be leaders and trainers in this work.
For more information on the training, the work and its practice:
If you would like to sign up for the training:
International Laughter Yoga website
FREE INTRO SESSION ON SATURDAY 5th SEPTEMBER AT 11amHendrik will give more detail on the course, the work and a short Laughter Yoga session for anyone interested in doing the course or wanting to know more about Laughter Yoga.