Laughter (n.) – the experience of amusement or joy!
We are designed to laugh and we need laughter to maintain our physical, mental and emotional health – especially in today’s stress-full world.
Join Nicci for a fun, energising and restorative experience for both your mind and mind!
Laugh and play in a guided experience that is stress relieving, physically conditioning, boosts your immune system, and is guaranteed to keep you in good mood through the rest of your day! Experience the joy of free-flowing laughter!
Date: Saturday, 28th May
Time: 11am – 12noon
Cost: Studio class cards can be used / or single class fee of R100
Sign up: 082 462 4844 or email
No yoga, movement or previous experience is required.
If you have never experienced a laughter yoga class you might be wondering “Laughter Yoga”??? ...it is not a traditional yoga class at all – but a unique and fun experience to stimulate laughter for an inspiring experience!
SO – WHAT IS LAUGHTER YOGA?
One of the most enjoyable and funniest movement sessions you will ever experience!
- It is an “exercise system” that combines simulated laughter-based activities, rhythmic clapping and yogic-inspired breathing to bring about hearty laughter from deep within the body.
- You do not need to have a particular sense of humour, nor do you need to feel like laughing to enjoy a laughter yoga class. You will find that before long the laughter flows naturally due to the group dynamics and the contagious nature of laughter. Laughter yoga teaches you to laugh freely from the body, rather than from the mind.
- In our busy world we often do not have the opportunity to really stop and just laugh uproariously the way we did when we were children. Laughter yoga creates a space for people to have fun and release pent up stress and tension through a good deep belly laugh! Laughter is nature’s antidote to stress – scientific research has shown that sustained laughter reduces the levels of stress hormones in the body, leading to improved health and wellbeing.
- Dr Madan Kataria (a medical doctor from Mumbai, India) developed laughter yoga which is based on the body’s inability to distinguish between real and fake laughter – both provide the same wonderful physical and psychological benefits. Therefore the laughter is simulated at first but it very quickly turns into real, spontaneous laughter.
- Laughter yoga works without humour, jokes or comedy. It is practiced in a group setting, and is extremely effective because laughter is contagious. As participants interact, the exercises stimulate laughter from all members of the group. One of the objectives of Laughter yoga is to cultivate childlike playfulness, which helps participants to laugh without reason, and eye contact also helps to convert fake laughter into real laughter. People of any fitness level and age group are able to participate.